Quest Week Schedule and Resources
- Click HERE for presentation tips
Click HERE for presentation rubrics
- Knights Tournament: The Marshmallow Challenge
Quest Coach Handout
Quest Team Handout
1. Begin by watching the About Innovation video clip.
Click HERE for the clip.
2. Talk about innovation in broad terms – the process, the people, the terms used. You might like to jot some key words on the board for when it comes to the reflection time.
3. Introduce the challenge – the teams have 18 minutes to use a set amount of building materials to build the tallest freestanding structure that will support the weight of one marshmallow.
4. Have students get into their Quest teams (approximately 4 students in each group) and hand out copies of the student handout and discuss.
5. Give out the kits of building materials (these were delivered Tuesday morning and taped to your whiteboard) and ensure everyone is clear about the task and the parameters.
6. Start the stopwatch – teams have 18 minutes to complete the task.
7. Walk around the classroom and observe the different structures and how the teams are working together. Encourage everyone to have a look around. Remind teams of how much time they have left at 12 minutes, 9 minutes (halfway point), 7 minutes, 3 minutes, 1 minute. Remind teams of the rules if necessary.
8. At the end of 18 minutes, ask all teams to step away from their desks. Take a look around. Record how many structures are standing and holding a marshmallow up. Measure these and record the heights on the board.
9. Identify the winning team. A member of the winning team needs to email the following information:
- Picture of their team's structure
- Height of the structure
- Quest coach's name
- Quest team members' names
10. Reflect on the activity. Start by asking teams to reflect on their experience using the discussion starters on the student handout, then broaden the discussion to include the entire class.
11. Watch Peter Skillman’s TED Talk Build a Tower, Build a Team.
- Click HERE to take the Healthy Kids Survey
Our school code is PF94VX